Friday, December 08, 2006

Creativity has left the building...

I’ve been thinking of a new post for awhile now. That was the title I was going to use, “Creativity has left the building.” Then I realized it was not exactly true. The truth was I’ve been doing a lot of creative things, just not writing about them. So really the desire to write about and document my creative outlet has left the building. Sometimes I just think, what’s the point? Who really cares? I’ve finally gotten over that little bump in the road and I’m ready to share some of my recent projects.

Pattern: Fern Lace Wrap
Source: The Little Box of Scarves by Melissa Matthay and Sheryl Thies
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft (less than one skein)
Needles: US 8
Modifications: I increased the needle size to go with the substituted yarn I used. Increased the pattern repeats to make this more of a lap blanket size. This was for my sister and she wanted a little blanket to bring to her constantly freezing office. She specified a size (something that could be tucked under her legs on the sides, covered her knees, but didn’t hang down the legs). This was my first time blocking acrylic. I know, people say it cannot be done. But they are WRONG! I used the whole kill it with steam approach and it worked pretty darn well. The final dimensions on this were about a 26” square.

Pattern: No real pattern just a 1 X 1 ribbing for the scarf.
Source: none
Yarn: Super Bulky yarn from Handpaintedyarn.com, the color is apple cinnamon. About 2 skeins
Needles: US 11
Modifications: None since I made this up as I went.

Current Work in Progress:

Pattern: Colorful Waves Throw
Source: Knitpicks
Yarn: A variety of yarns from Knitpicks, following the recommended yarns, plus some extras from the stash that I threw in there. If anyone actually cares about colors and such I can list them.
Needles: US 10 1/2
Modifications: Just the addition of the extra yarns and my own color choices. I originally thought that maybe I would give this to one of my brothers as a present, but I think the Suri Dream in it is too delicate. The yarn is so thin, and the fabric of the blanket is really thin where this yarn is used. I would be worried that they would tear it, so I guess I’ll keep it for me. By the way, working with the Suri dream is HELL! I wish I would have made this blanket wider.

Here are some additional pictures of more bracelets that I made (look for the details a couple of posts back). Just varied the colors and such from the previous ones.

I also have some non-knitting objects to show:

Pattern: Crystal Snowflake
Source: www.Interweave.com
Modifications: For the red and the gold ones I used the beads and wire I had on hand which was much larger than recommended. The smaller silver and blue one uses the recommended wire and bead sizes. I found these to be a little fiddly, but I haven’t done any work like this in the past. Each one took me about an hour to do. I like them enough that I’m sure to make more, in both the little and big size.

I’ve also joined my first swap in Craftster! I really hope the person I sent to likes what I chose for her. It should be there in a few days!

2 comments:

Woman who knits said...

I'm totally blown away by everything you're doing! It's all just so beautiful!!

BurritoGirl77 said...

these are amazing